Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Shorting Education

As I was reading the article Is Google Making Us Stupid? I noticed I was doing exactly what it was talking about. Not in the sense of skimming the article, as it mentioned multiple times throughout the message. It was the fact that the first thing I did when I got to the website was scroll down to see how long the article was. While we are on an honesty streak, the second I did was actually considered skimming the article. But I did not, and I found it was a very intriguing article. Even though it seemed as though the author’s audience was people of all ages….well, at least those who are old enough read, I could not help but think he was pointing fingers at our generation. Why? Because our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and even professors, grew up without all of this fancy up-to-date technology. Though they are starting to adapt to the latest upgrades on computer software and even though my parents have smarter phones than I do, I believe they would be just fine if they ever had to go back to the way it was before. We on the other hand grew up with the opportunity to either read a book, or read a summary of the book online. Sure, the skimming short cut gives you a few extra hours in your life that you did not use reading the whole book, but in the end you lack the knowledge and probably the grade you desired. The internet is not completely bad though, it is also for the most part, a reliable source to go to when you need to get some answers. What I am trying to say is, if you actually take the time to read the information (eliminating any form of distraction such as Facebook and what not) and let the information soak in, you could probably write a portion of a research paper. Our education will only go as far as we allow it to, and like anything in life, those who take the short cuts will get there faster but not get as much out of it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment