Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Rhetorical Analysis - Texans Winning the AFC South?

For my rhetorical analysis, I chose to analyze the article, "Why the Houston Texans Will Win the AFC South." It was written by Daniel Wilson, and posted on ThisGivenSunday.com on September 9, 2011.

I chose this particular article for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, I've worked with Daniel Wilson. Second, I'm a fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars which play in the AFC South with the Texans. That gives me a working knowledge of the division and it's other teams. I suppose a third reason would be that the article isn't particularly long, and it's easy to read and follow.

Being a fan of the Jaguars, I have an interest in what other people are saying about them and the other teams in the division. Having such an interest made this article easy to read and write about. I'm also interested in the article because I'm familiar with the author, and I've always liked his writing style. He forms logical opinions removed from the emotional responses of many sports writers, and that's something I've always enjoyed about his style of writing.

In my opinion Wilson is one of the few sports writers that I've ever read that can truly persuade his audience of his opinion in a very subtle way. He doesn't overuse stats that can often clutter arguments. Instead, he approaches the topic from the most logical perspective, and that's the way he attacks arguments. He uses various strategies to prove his points while disproving others. There really aren't many writers that can write a more convincing article than Wilson.

No comments:

Post a Comment