Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Our Texture Is Our Story

Jeannette Walls came to Ball State University tonight and spoke about her book, The Glass Castle, and mainly tried to get through to us as a community about how important life is. She first came out onto the stage and immediately got our attention by making us laugh. She continued to speak about her challenged childhood and how it benefitted her. She said, “The rich people gotta pay for their hardships,” which I believe to be completely true. I was raised in a lower class household and we have struggled our whole lives, but it’s made me who I am today. Honestly, it has benefited me and I realized that a long time ago. If I had the choice, I would still choose to be where I was growing up, because that has helped me embrace my life and the people/things that I’m surrounded with. Even though there are terrible experiences, Jeannette Walls says that, “a present could be wrapped inside if you’re willing to receive it.” The hardships could define you, but it’s how you let them define you that are different. And by the end of her talk she talked about our different textures. Mainly this was explaining the background that you came from and how it looked on you. Our scars are what create us, but don’t regret them. According to Mrs. Walls, “We all have texture. Whatever your texture or scars, those are your stories. “ And she ended the night with, “…Embrace your demons and build your castles.”

No comments:

Post a Comment