Monday, September 12, 2011

Rhetoric Is Everywhere

Chapter 1 of "Envision" focused on how we go about analyzing texts. Rhetorical means the writer aims at persuading particular audiences through careful choices made by the writer in composing the text. Now I read all the time, but I hardly ever think in these terms. I never realized how much careful thought went into persuasive writing. Now, it seems everything I read is trying to persuade me to think a certain way. After reading this chapter, I see how writer try to persuade their audience to a certain view point.
There are examples all over campus of rhetorical writing. Every flyer passed out, every announcement taped up in a hallway and every email you recieve on your @bsu.edu email address is trying to get you to think a certain way. Now, after reading this chapter, I look at these articles with a rhetorical eye. Writing is not the only way to persuade somebody. Writing with images can be just as effective, if not more. It seems that political cartoons can have more of an influence than written opinion articles. They can be funny to some and offending, borderline blasphemy, to others. The "What Would Mohammed Drive?" piece was particularly influential. I'm sure some found the cartoon humorous while others found it offensive to their religion.
After reading this chapter, I now see how writers try to persuade the reader. It seems like everywhere I go, there is some sort of persuasion going on, whether written or drawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment