Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"Dancing Makes You Smarter"

I chose the text "Use It or Lose It: Dancing Makes You Smarter", by Richard Powers. This article interested me because ballroom dancing is an activity that I am passionate about, and when I came across an article about someone proving that ballroom dancing prevents Alzheimer's, I did not have to look any further. I was extremely shocked how much of an affect dancing has on the mind compared to reading. According to a study at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, "reading reduces risk of dementia by 35%, while dancing frequently reduces risk by 76%." That is an extreme difference. Plus, dancing is much more fun than reading. The article also provides information on why that works. This article taught me a lot and gave me new information that I have never thought about. It is a good and easy read, especially if you love to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment