Wednesday, September 14, 2011

3 is a Magic Number

The main elements in this chapter labeled, “Composing Arguments” are focused on three of the canons of rhetoric. The three elements that are explained in this chapter are invention, arrangement and style. Each of these elements must be used if you are to persuade successfully.

Coming up with a good argument requires many strategies. In order to project an argument on something you need to create text that has substance while convincing the audience to see things a certain way, such as your own view. This is always the part that stumps me, personally. Once I get typing I’m usually good to go, but the first step is usually always the most challenging. A key part to inventing an argument is analyzing what the text, picture, speech, or artwork means.

In order to type a cohesive and flowing essay, you need to arrange it in a way that will create a more effective and understandable paper. Pages 27-33 are very helpful as examples for arranging a paper correctly for rhetorical analysis. It’s going to be important for me to not put so much of “my” thoughts into the paper. I need to instead follow the directions for a correct rhetorical analysis. I read that there are times you are allowed to put in your thoughts, but there are certain places where you are supposed to arrange them in your paper.

The third cannon of rhetoric, style deals with choosing the correct way to say your argument. I found the term persona to be interesting. The way you write and the choices you make while writing creates a personal for yourself. It is important not to create a bad constructed persona because that can hurt the argument as well as the entire paper.

I will pay extra special attention to these three terms while coming up with, arranging, and typing my rhetorical analysis.

- Sam Bennett Envision chapter 3 journal

No comments:

Post a Comment