Monday, September 26, 2011

A Nice Review


Chapter 4 of Envision, titled “Planning and Proposing Research Arguments”, deals with coming up with a topic, research and prewriting techniques, and how to construct and write a research argument. Throughout chapter 4, the authors used war propaganda posters to demonstrate the different topics brought up in the chapter. I remember doing something similar in high school that also involved war propaganda posters. I used many of the techniques that were described in the chapter while forming a topic for the “Hände weg vom Ruhrgebiet!” (Hands off the Ruhr) poster from Germany between World War One and World War Two when the French occupied the Ruhr area of western Germany. I my paper, I addressed the issue of how the events after World War One lead to the conditions in Germany, which lead to World War Two. In the poster, Marianne, the national emblem of France, is shown as a bloodthirsty giant as she crouches over the industrialized region of Germany and fallen German soldiers. The artist depicted her in this way in order to generate anger towards the French for the occupation of the Ruhr.

Chapter 4 discussed the prewriting technique of graphic brainstorming. Graphic brainstorming involves making web of ideas that relate to the topic. I personally find this method distracting and confusing because it is not set up in a structured form, it is more organic and requires more thought to be put into finding where one circle leads to another instead of where an idea leads to another idea. The chapter also dealt with how to narrow a topic, planning an argument and how to pick a topic. I cannot say that I learned anything new from chapter 4; however, it was a good review and it helped me remember the various techniques that I have learned.

Source of photo: http://www.landesmuseum-oldenburg.niedersachsen.de/live/live.php?navigation_id=24429&article_id=85019&_psmand=184

No comments:

Post a Comment