Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Power of a Well Planned and Organized Argument. Ch. 3


It seems that a lot of writing techniques some how always start at the same point, Ancient Greeks. Chapter three “Composing Arguments” is based on the canons of rhetoric, which is five categories, concerning of: invention, arrangement, style, memory, and delivery. All five aspects are needed to for all successful persuasive communications.  All aspects have different ways to develop them and guidelines in which you have to follow to effectively create them. One that particularly stood out to me was invention; I did not realize there so many different steps required to fully develop an effective argument. Definition is an obvious one about knowing what the text means and other examples, but “What parts are comprised within the text?”. What exactly does that mean, because it seems self-explanatory that everything in the article is made up from one person’s opinion but is supported by sensible and reliable information.

Another important thing needed is arrangement or structure of the argument. The text describes: chronological structure, cause-effects, problem solution, block structure, thematic structure, and deferred thesis. These explanations of the different types of organization helped me understand my rhetoric argument more easily because the structure was unknown to me. Also I had never heard of Toulmin which is the different parts of a logical argument; claim, grounds, warrants, background, rebuttal, and response.  This helped me breakdown my rhetoric article into simpler and easy ways to analyze and develop my essay for the rhetorical analysis assignment. 
Holly Demaree

No comments:

Post a Comment