Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Gourmet Reviews and Slow Speakers

Today, it was time for me to take my turn looking around the class, and taking note of everything I saw. It was a mellow day, and that's just the way I like it. The most notable activity the class did was peer reviews of our rhetorical analyses.

The most useful part of the peer review, at least in my humble opinion, was the self review. More specifically, the activity of underlining specific parts of my rhetorical analysis helped me identify points that I needed to include, and it helped me realize what I was missing.

As helpful as the peer reviews are, it's much more interesting to read and listen to the pieces that others are analyzing. For example, I listened to a big portion of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" Speech. I had never realized what a slow and deliberate speaker King Jr. really was. It's amazing how much more of the message is delivered by listening to a speaker instead of simply reading his speech. Reading is great, but it doesn't convey emotion and feeling like a speaker can.

One thing I picked up on is that the class became much more talkative towards the end of the class. Frankly, I like the fact that we had some level of free time at the end of the class. Part of that was likely the result of the task being a little too undefined.

Overall, it was a good day of class considering that it's an 8 AM class, and I thought that the class was really awake and engaged considering that many of us (I can only speak for myself, but I suspect others were in the same boat) probably weren't operating on the recommended amount of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment