Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Analyze the text #UnderstandTheContext

In chapter one of our "Envision" textbook, it talks about how texts can be rhetorical. When I analyze any kind of text, it makes me ask myself questions and makes me think in depth about what I am reading. When I actually think about what I am reading, it makes me think about how the author is trying to persuade my thoughts. Once I understand what message the quthor is trying to convey, it makes me come up with questions that I do not understand about what they are trying to persuade me to think. Rhetoric is the ability to discern the available means of persuasion in any given statement. Examples of rhetorical texts are ads, posters, cartoons, signs, websites, newspapers, or flyers. I see examples of these rhetorical texts in everyday life, so it is easy to understand what rhetoric is. Authors use visual persuasion in rhetorical texts by using images, like on posters. It is an attention grabber to the audience when there are pictures provided to go along with the text. In any text or advertisement, it is essential to provide a theis statement. A thesis statement is a claim about the topic that is being developed throughout the rest of a certain paper or advertisement. If a certain text does not have a thesis statement, it will be hard for the reader to catch onto what is trying to be told. The thesis statement is important, because the whole paper revolves around that statement and different topics branch off of that statement. As well as including the thesis statement in certain writings, it is important to go through a checklist to make sure you include everything that is necessary in a paper. Things that need to be included in a paper are a topic, a storyline, a guided audience, an arguement, imagery, tone, characters, and a theme. I always go through this prewriting checklist to make sure my reader will understand what I am trying to tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment