Thursday, September 8, 2011

9/8/11: The Good, The Bad, and the Internet; Sam Bennett

(Class Log)

According to my English teacher, Tess Evans, “The Internet and technology in general is a two way street.” It is very hard for me to argue that statement. As I sat and observed Mrs. Evan’s speaking about this topic, I eventually gave in and now understand that Technology and the Internet can be a privilege, but it can also be a curse.

The Internet can be an advantage for a variety of different reasons. The main reason is that the Internet is easy and accessible and right at our fingertips. I very much agree with this. I always am around some form of technology or Internet. I have an IPhone and am so used to checking my Facebook, email, and surfing the web. When you think about it, to be able to all these things on a cell phone is almost unreal. There are advantages and disadvantages for technology and the Internet for a parent and their child, but one could argue that the advantages out way the bad. My mom and dad text me all the time while I’m at college. Texting is a very easy way to get a hold of someone. Internet and technology use is very helpful for those who work. Almost everyone that works uses email. They can email not only from work, but also from home or anywhere that isn’t at the office or wherever they work. Technology and the Internet also have its advantages in the field of crime. If someone is murdered, the Internet is a fast way to find information on that person or the accused.

With all of the advantages of technology and the Internet, this privilege can also be a disadvantage to us. Many say that the Internet is too easy and accessible. That is a true statement. Another disadvantage is the separation from work and home life. For ‘workaholics,” the Internet can be a very dangerous thing. My dad is one of these people. Even on vacations he is always on his laptop typing away doing business. I’m not saying that he isn’t doing the right thing, but it can be frustrating for the rest of the family, and is ultimately bad for his health. The Internet can be a disadvantage also because there are advertisements that constantly want you sell you things, and tempt you to click on them. Social Networking sites can also be very dangerous, and must be used with precaution.

The Internet and technology in general can be a great tool, but if used as a crutch, can lead to disadvantages for that person and the people around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment