Sunday, November 6, 2011

What Makes Bracken Library Special

In October, our class had the opportunity to go to the Ball State library. Before going to the library each student had to fill out a Bracken Library self-guided tour. During the tour each student had to go to every floor of the library. On each floor we had to locate a certain book or item in the library. This tour helped me understand where certain things are located. Most students in English 103 are new freshman to Ball State. It was nice to be able to learn a few things before our class had to meet there after fall break. The first class after fall break all of us students had to meet in the library. We all went into a room and listened to a lecture on how to use Bracken Library resources.

When arriving to the library there were papers already sitting on the table. I started to look over the papers and knew right away they would be extremely helpful. All of Bracken’s recourses can help me and other students write our research papers due before thanksgiving break. During the lecture I learned how to use CardCat, which makes finding books easier. All I have to do is type in a title and the program will find all the books with that title in the library for me. It also tells me if the book is in stock or not. It also gives me the number of the book so I can easily find it in the library. The articles and databases program are another helpful thing to know how to use. In the program articles and databases there are hundreds of magazines, newspapers, and books on a certain topic. I am glad our class had the opportunity to listen to this lecture. The next day I was able to start my research paper and check out books I needed. The library is a great place to do homework and find resources to help you write papers. I am planning on going there more often to get my work done for classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment