Friday, November 11, 2011

Just another story to make me want to help change the world

Monday morning in speech lecture, I found out about a speaker that was going to be speaking at Emens later in the week. This speaker’s event was going to be an extra credit opportunity. Of course, like any student would, my head popped up from behind my computer screen when I heard the words “extra credit opportunity”. I didn’t think anything of what this event was going to be; I just knew I had to attend in order to receive the extra credit.

On Wednesday, November 9th, 2011, a man named Sean Carasso came to visit Ball State to inform his audience about his non-profit organization, Falling Whistles. Falling Whistles is a campaign for peace in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. They sell whistles in order to raise money for the education, advocacy, and the rehabilitation of war-affected people in Congo. Sean told his story, and showed a few different videos of the things that he had experienced while visiting Congo. He also shared with us the different stories that the people in Congo told him about. Things like women getting raped, to children losing a limb, to boys and men being forced to kill innocent people. These types of stories, along with the photos being showed along with them, sent chills throughout my entire body, and had my mind going a million miles an hour trying to figure out how I could help. It was crazy that before the event I was thinking, “Do I really have to go to this thing?” Then after, I was thinking, “How did I not know about this sooner?” It’s amazing that one hour can change a person’s outlook on certain aspects of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment