Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Correct way to quote

Chapter 6, organizing and Writing research Arguments:

For this chapter I am focusing mainly on the section ‘Integrating, Not Inserting, Quotations’. I always found that getting my paper to flow easily into quotations to be difficult, and I also think that an awkward quote can throw off the entire feel of a paper. I know how important it is for quotes to be used in research papers, and I understand that they provide the view of another person and can be the only way to get a point across. What I do not always understand is the best way to get the quote into the paper without it seeming out of place or just randomly put into the paragraph. In this section, in taught me that a leading or introductory phrase is important in doing this correctly because it can represent who is saying the quote without having to follow with a “said so and so”. I also learned that you can break a quote into two pieces and embed the author and source between the two halves in order to help the paragraph flow seamlessly. I like this version because it clears the way of awkward introductions and pointless rambles about what book the quote is from or what the profession in of the author before getting to the real point of the quote

No comments:

Post a Comment