Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Don't Plagarise

Chapter 7 of Envision focused on avoiding plagiarism and the correct way to document a source. Plagiarism is clearly a huge issue all through school. I understand the importance of using your own ideas and not banking on the work of others, but I also know how important it is to quote facts and statements from others in order to make a paper more understandable and relatable. You quote things that can in no way be said better. When you do this, one must always remember to use quotation marks and site the source in order for it not to be plagiarism. I feel like sometimes school go a little too far with the idea of plagiarism; not all kids feel the need to do it. I know in high school, all our papers were sent to an online plagiarism site and if the paper received a grade higher than a %0, it was an automatic F. sometimes we can think the same as someone with published work, and that doesn’t seem fair to me that I can be penalized for that. This chapter also looked at the correct way to document a source, something I am not very good at. I was shocked to read the part that stated in order to use a piece of art or photo, you not only need to site but may also need to request permission from the original source in order to use it. I’ve never done this before and feel like it’s something I never would have learned had it not been for this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment