Tuesday, December 6, 2011

In the Company of Comedians

I was fortunate enough to get a ticket to see David Letterman and Rachel Maddow the other day at Emens auditorium. Unlike most of the Muncie and Ball State population I didn’t have to wait in line. I got a stroke of luck when one of my professors emailed me and asked if a I wanted the ticket because his wife could no longer go. I of course accepted and ended up with really great seats

Going in I had no idea what it was all about. When I saw the David Axelrod speech I was very disappointed, being that it was just a plug for the Obama campaign more than it was “Lessons of Leadership” or whatever it was they claimed it to be. I was assuming that this was going to be along the same lines. However, I was pleased to discover that it was David letterman interviewing Rachel Maddow. I’ll admit that I had never seen Letterman do his thing before that night, and I only had a limited knowledge of Maddow, but the two of them together on stage was hysterical. It was one of the funniest live shows I have ever seen. One my favorite parts is when they started running low on audience question cards. A stagehand came from backstage and quietly snuck them onto the Letterman’s coffee table. When he noticed her, he spun around and said “What is there a problem with the luggage?” I laughed harder than I have in a long time.

All in all, it was much more gratifying than David Axelrod’s speech. I would love to go see him or Rachel Maddow again sometime. With at least another 3 years at Ball State, who know, I may luck out!

No comments:

Post a Comment