Saturday, December 3, 2011

"I WAS ONE" 463

When I first heard about Falling Whistles I was not really sure what it was. When I went to my Family and Child Student Organization, (FCSO), they were the ones who first told me about it. They showed us an online video about what it was about. It is about this deathly war in Congo that has been going on since WWII where thousands of people are continuing to die daily, especially young boys. When they are fighting they would send young boys with whistles to the front of the fighting lines and have them blow their whistles so that the enemy could start firing. This then allows them to know where their enemy is and the boys also protect as a shield because they are then getting shot at and dying. Before the speaker would speak at Emens auditorium about falling whistles and what we can do to help those people there, he wanted at least one thousand guest to arrive before seven or he would not speak. So in order to get that many people to come they were giving out free white t-shirts that said “I WAS ONE” on the back of it and whatever number you were at getting a t-shirt. I was number 463. When seven o clock finally came around, the auditorium was packed with people waiting to see if we reached one thousand or not and sure enough, when the staff came running down the aisle, there was over one thousand people who had arrived to hear the story about what is going on in the Congo.

No comments:

Post a Comment