Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Delivering Presentations

In chapter 9 of Envision, titled “Delivering Presentations,” the authors discuss the various ways in which someone can give a verbal presentation. In order to select a presentation strategy, the authors stress the understanding of the branches of oratory, which include judicial (forensic discourse), deliberative (legislative discourse), and epideictic (ceremonial discourse). Identifying the audience and purpose of the presentation also can help to select the proper presentation strategy. Because written language and speech are different, it is important not to simply read from a paper while delivering a presentation. When presenting, it is important to carefully select what needs to be discussed in order to help keep within a time limit, organize ideas, and translate from written to spoken language. Later in the chapter, the authors discuss various ways in which to incorporate visuals into a presentation such as a PowerPoint. Non-slide techniques such as audio clips, videos, and embodied rhetoric are also discussed.

Recently, I had to give a presentation in my CAP 101 class about a space I designed based off a painting. I used some of the techniques that were described in Envision for my presentation. I had written what I planned to say in a way similar to how I speak. I also edited out unnecessary information that would make me talk myself into a corner. Because one of the people I was presenting to was a curator at the Ball State art museum, I focused my presentation mainly on how my project related to the art work. Since I had planned what I was going to say in my presentation and how I would say it; the presentation went better than I had expected. On previous presentations, I came up with what I was going to say while I was waiting for my turn; however, planning ahead and using the techniques that I learned in Envision helped me avoid what would have been a disaster of a presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment