Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Primary sources

Chapter 5 in Envision was interested and something I’ve never really thought to deeply into before. I’ve done a lot of research papers in my past but I never thought too deeply about primary and secondary sources. I always looked at as the first source I find would be my main one, and everything after that could be used as a secondary source. I didn’t realize there were guidelines to finding a proper primary source and better options than others for secondary sources. This chapter actually was very helpful with the rhetorical analysis paper I’m writing right now because, though I have a piece of artwork as my main source, I need some solid secondary source to back up the meaning behind my painting and the facts of its background story. The part on properly evaluating the sources was also very helpful since that’s what a paper is often based off of. Field research is something I am very familiar with. In my anthropology course we are working on a huge field research project based completely on the research we find ourselves. I like field research; I think it’s more interesting than just reading it out of a book because what one person sees may be different than another.

No comments:

Post a Comment