Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Jeanette Walls

I recently attended the speech of Jeanette Walls, author of the book The Glass Castle. This was one of the most empowering and inspiring situations I have ever been a part of. The Glass Castle is one of my favorite books of all time. I had to read it several times in my four years of Highschool and enjoyed it each time through. Actually being able to sit and listen to a woman, whos stories insire me, speak is something I will never forget. I was amazed sitting in the auditorium by Mrs. Walls sence of humor and her ability to make light of the situations of her childhood. She is so strong to be able to look at her past and say 'That was my life then, it made me a better person, and this is who I am now.' Her story of turning struggle into positive ways of life is something I took as a learning experience. Everyday I find myself saying my life is too hard or not fair, I think about what other people go through and become thankful for all I have. Her stories about her father were so warm and endearing even though the life he gave her was hard and troublesome. She is such an inspiration to children everywhere to never give up and follow what they love because they can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment