Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Career in Review

My first PIR session was not only educational but eye opening. It validated a few News class concepts as well as made me see a few things that I hadn’t noticed about the world of journalism.

Keith Connors was my favorite speaker on the panel. Although the other 3 people had plenty to say, Connors seemed so driven and composed. Everything he said struck like hammer to anvil. He got straight to the point about how he trains people, whom he hires, and what he expects from them.

He said he is constantly asking himself and his employees what do you do to make yourself know what’s happening. He stressed the importance of always being on top of the most current events. Reading the paper, listening to radio, and watching other newscasts are all part of your job. I hear similar advice everyday in class. Whenever the class is polled, less than half say they watched the news. According to Connors, that will not fly in the work force.

One part of the work force itself startled me. Honestly it sort of diminished my interest in the news field. Right off the bat I noticed that all the members of the panel, except for Ms. Moody, have moved many times throughout their careers. That was a big turn off for me. I don’t crave an on the move lifestyle.

The Fall News Roundup reminded me of a story I watched in another news class. What I saw in the story was another hit to my news interest. It was one cameraman’s angle on a big legal case. He was in the middle of a crowd of reporters who were surrounding a lawyer trying to get the story. My first thought was “Good god I don’t want to do that.” At that point I started to reconsider my career aspirations.

Shortly after, the guests all stressed the importance of internships. The whole time they were talking about them I was thinking how much I didn’t want to do one.

Attending the PIR Fall News Roundup gave me a very clear insight into what I need to do to successfully land a career in the news field. However I’m not sure that it’s a field I wish to continue in. I can’t picture myself in the newsroom anymore. But, in the end I am glad I took the news path, because I was able to sample something and find out that it wasn’t for me.

2 comments: