Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Courage

Courage

On September 21, 2011 Jeanette Walls author of “The Glass Castle” came to Ball State. Ms. Walls held a speech in Emens Auditorium located on campus. Her speech was over “The Glass Castle” the book all incoming freshman were suppose to read. Over the summer I read “The Glass Castle” along with numerous other freshman. I thought the book was very interesting; Ms. Walls did a wonderful job describing her life. While reading this book I had questions that I would like to ask Ms. Walls. I never knew she would be coming to Ball State and I have the opportunity to ask her questions. Ms. Walls had a hard life that most people never have to encounter. While reading her story I felt like I was there with her. While reading this story I never wanted to put the book down.

Ms. Walls did an outstanding job on her speech. Students were able to ask questions that they had. The auditorium was full which showed students enjoyed her book. Other students and I were curious what she had to say about her book. My biggest question for her was “How was she so strong at a young age”? While reading this book I could not believe how much she had to go through at such a young age. I personally think since she had to go through all of those tough situations it made her a great person. When people go through hard times it makes them look at the value of life different. I am glad that I had to opportunity to attend this campus event. It was my first one that I went to and I learned a lot from her. When I read books I wish I could always have the opportunity to talk to the author. This was a great experience, people that did not go missed out on a great speech by Ms. Jeanette Walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment